Almost all Edublogs themes include an option to upload your own custom header image.
A custom header image means you can obtain a much more customized look and feel adding your “own personal touch” to your blog.
Bloggers also use custom header image as a work around for blog themes that don’t include taglines i.e. you add the tagline to the image header using an image editing tool.
Header Image tips
- For the best quality use the recommended image header dimensions for your chosen theme (refer to recommended dimensions on Appearance > Header).
- Instead of trying to design your own image header visit Free Web Page Headers. You can use any of these image headers, with adaptation if you desire, provided you acknowledge the original source and don’t use them for a commercial purpose.
Using your own custom header image
Uploading is as simple as:
1. Go to Appearance > Header in your dashboard.
2. Click on Choose file, browse for the image on your computer and then click on Open.
- Only .jpeg, .gif, and .png files can be used for image headers.
- For best results we recommend you crop and resize the image to the exact dimensions recommended for that theme before uploading by using an image editing program.
3. Next click Upload.
4. Your image will upload and if it isn’t the exact dimensions you’ll need to select the area you want to crop and then click Crop and Publish.
5. Your new image header should appear immediately on your blog.
- However if it doesn’t try clearing your web browser cache by holding the Ctrl key and pressing F5.
Many themes have other customization options. Some themes such as Edublogs Default 2011 allow you to remove the blog title (and tagline, if it appears, by deselecting the ‘Show header text with your image‘ option and clicking Save Changes.
They also allow you to change the text color of the blog title and tagline, if you choose to show this text, using the Text Color option.