User Role Overview

When you set up a blog you have the ability to assign and control what other users can do in the blog depending on the tasks you want each user to be responsible for.

The five roles you can assign users on a blog are: Administrator; Editor; Author; Contributor; and Subscriber.

There are two extra roles if you use My Class: teacher and student.

Deciding which role to assign bloggers is a balance between:

1. How much responsibility you’re comfortable with assigning the user
  2. School and District guidelines
  3. Providing them with an environment that’s motivating

You also need to consider carefully what role you assign other users since Administrators are able to remove other users, including you, and editors can delete content.

Standard User roles

The five roles a user can be assigned in decreasing level of responsibility are:

1. Administrator – can do everything including complete power over posts, pages, plugins, comments, choice of themes, imports, settings, assign user roles and are even able to delete the blog.
  2. Editor – is able to publish posts/pages, manage posts/pages, upload files, moderate comments as well as manage other people’s posts/pages.
  3. Author – can upload files plus write and publish own posts.
  4. Contributor – can write own posts but can’t publish them; instead they are submitted for review.  An administrator or editor then reviews and publishes their posts.
  5. Subscriber – can read comments and write comments.

Here is a summary of their differences based on User Capability:

Here is a summary of their differences based on access to features in the dashboard:

Menu items

My Class User Roles

When you set up My Class it adds two extra roles to your standard roles.

These new roles are:

1. Teacher
  2. Student

Teacher Role

All users you want to have access to and be able to manage all student blogs need to be assigned the role teacher — you select these users when setting up My Class.

In the following example both Sue Waters and mohanjith would be assigned the role of teacher.  They would be added as users to all student blogs and be able to access all student blogs using My Class > Student Blogs.

Assigning teachers

Any one who has been added as an administrator is automatically listed as a user under the teacher option in My Class > Settings and can be assigned the role of teacher.

You can update who, and how many, are assigned the role of teacher at any time by going to My Class > Settings, selecting the checkbox next to their usernames and clicking Save.

Student Role

The student role controls what your students can do on your class blog and on their student blogs.  It is important that you keep all students assigned the role of student when using My Class.

You change what students can do by the settings you have set in My Class > Settings through this student role.

The student role allows students to change the theme, add/remove widgets and activate/deactivate plugins on their student blog only.  They can’t change themes, access widgets or plugins on the class blog.

The student role’s ability to publish own posts and approve comments is controlled by the options you’ve selected in My Class Settings.

In the following example the students can’t publish their own posts or comments.  All posts are submitted as pending and must be approved by a teacher before they are published.

Moderation

When you set up My Class your student users are added as user to the class blog and to the student blog.

The menu items they see depends on which dashboard they are logged into and what settings you have set in My Class > Settings.

If you used the following My Class > Settings:

Moderation Settings

Menu items when logged in as a student user would look like the following:

Student menu items

If your students see limited menu items it means they are logged into the Class blog dashboard and need to navigate to their student blog dashboard.

Changing blog dashboards is as simple as:

1.  Go to My Sites dropdown menu in your admin bar.

2.  Click on the dashboard of the blog you want to access.

Click on dashboard

Roles on Group Blog

You need to consider carefully what role you assign other users when you have a group blog with more than one user publishing posts.

Your administrator has complete access to all blog functionality including ability to change themes, delete the blog and remove users.  We recommend you limit the number of administrators to one or two people and assign all other users a lower role.

If you want them to be able to publish their own posts you would normally assign them the role of editor.   If you want to review all posts before they are published you would assign them the role of contributor.

Roles on Class Blog

The best option on a class blog is to set up My Class if you have more than one person publishing posts on a class blog.

Edublogs Support Manager @suewaters on Twitter

Tagged with: , , , , , , ,
Posted in Help, Users