You can let people subscribe to your blog by adding an email subscription widget to your sidebar. When readers subscribe, they’ll get an email each time you publish a new post.
Here’s what it looks like when it’s activated on a blog sidebar:
And here’s an example of the email they’re sent:
Setting up Email subscription
To set up email subscription all you need to do is:
1. Go to Appearance > Widgets in your Dashboard
2. Drag the Subscribe by Email widget (Edublogs Campus blogs) or Email Subscription widget (Edublogs Pro blogs) into the desired sidebar.
- You drag by clicking on the widget with your left mouse and moving the widget.
Add Email Subscriber
Once you’ve added your email subscription widget to your sidebar readers just need to add their email address and click Subscribe or Create Subscription.
You can also add email subscribers inside your dashboard if you are using an Edublogs Campus blog as follows:
1. Go to Subscriptions in your dashboard.
2. Add their email address.
3. Click Create Subscription.
- Some email domains block the email notification.
- If you are unsure if the email notification are being sent we recommend you test it by subscribing using gmail account (which doesn’t block these emails).
- If you receive the emails to the gmail account and they don’t it means they need to use an alternative email address.
Remove Email Subscriber
To unsubscribe from your email notifications readers can click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of their email notification or you can remove them yourself by going to Subscriptions inside your dashboard.
Alternatively, you can remove email subscribers as follows:
1. Go to Subscriptions inside your dashboard.
2. Select the checkbox next to the email subscriber you want to remove.
3. Click Cancel Subscription(s).
Edublogs Campus Settings page
Edublogs Campus blogs have more email subscription options than an Edublogs blog.
You change your subscription settings on a Campus blog as follows:
1. Go to Subscriptions > Settings
2. Select whether you want users to be auto-subscribe or not
- This automatically subscribes all existing and any new users listed on Users > All Users to your email subscription
- If Auto-subscribe is enabled you won’t be able to remove them from the email subscription list and they won’t be able to un-subscribe themselves from email subscription
3. Select if you want Excerpt enabled or not
- Excerpt means they will receive a small excerpt from the post in the email whereas not means they will only receive an email with the post title and a link to view the post
4. Click Save Changes
Edublogs Campus Subscriptions page
The Subscription page lists all the email subscribers, their method of subscription and allows you to cancel or add email subscribers manually.
- Auto Subscriptions are those subscriber listed on Users > All Users who have been added when Auto-subscribe automatically is enabled
- Visitor Subscriptions are readers who have subscribe using the Subscribe by Email widget in the blog sidebar
- Manual Subscriptions are subscribers that have been manually added using the Subscriptions page
- S2 Import Subscriptions are those subscribers who are automatically imported from your email subscription list if you were previously using the Subscribe2 plugin.