Create a Class using “My Class”

“My Class”  is the utlimate tool for class and student blogs.  You can read more about the benefits of using “My Class” here!

Here’s how you create a class using the ‘My Class” tool.

Create A Class

1.  Go to My Class > Create a Class.

2.  Select ‘This is a class blog’, choose your settings and click Save.

Please note:

If you are using student blogs you should use “No – students can’t publish posts on class blog.”  next to ‘Allow students to post on the class blog’.   Otherwise students may accidentally publish their posts on the class blog instead of their student blogs.

Class Settings

3.  Once you’ve created your class you can either:

• Create and join student blogs to your class (if you want each student to have their own individual student blog)
  • Add students as users to the class blog (if you only want students to publish posts on the class blog)

Refer to the following support documentation for more information:

Class Settings

The Class settings control what your students are able to do on both the class blog and their own individual students blogs (if you choose to have student blogs).

You can update these settings at any time by going to My Class > Class Settings.  Changes are automatically reflected on all student blogs attached to the class blog.

Here’s a quick overview of the different Class Settings:

Allow students to post on the class blog

This controls whether you want students to publish posts on the class blog.

1. Yes, no moderation – students are able to publish posts on the class blog without being reviewed by a teacher.
  2. Yes, with moderation – students are able to submit posts as ‘Pending for Review’ on the class blog and the teacher reviews them before the post is published.
  3. No – students can’t publish posts on class blog.

Options on Class blogs

Moderation on student blogs

The moderation setting controls what students can do on their own student blog.

Please note individual student blogs is optional and you may choose to just use a class blog.

1. I must approve all posts -  students are able to submit posts as ‘Pending for Review’ on their student blog and the teacher reviews them before the post is published.
  2. I must approve all comments – students can’t approve comments on student blogs and the teacher must approve all comments on student blogs.  Students can’t see unapproved comments.

f you allow students to approve their own comments you’ll still see pending comments in My Class > Student blogs.  You just need to remind your students they have comments they need to check.

Moderation Student blogs

Privacy

Privacy controls the privacy settings on the student blogs only.   You change the privacy of your class blog in Settings > Privacy.

Privacy on student blogs

We recommend you use “I would like anyone who provides the following password have access to all blogs” if you want to make the student blogs private.

For example, if you set the following password:

Password

Your students just need to add this password and click Log In to view the blog of any other student in the class.

Adding the password

Teachers 

My Class adds two more roles to the user roles:

1. Teacher
  2. Student

The person who creates the Class blog is automatically assigned the role of teacher unless you specify select other admin users on the class blog to have the teacher role.  The teacher role has all the same access as an administrator but is added as a user to all student blogs and can reset the email address of students.

All users you want to have access to and be able to manage all student blogs need to be assigned the role teacher. 

When students are added to the class blog OR their student blog is attached to the Class blog their role is changed to Student.  The Class Settings control what the Student role can and can’t do.

You can learn more about the teacher and student role here.

In the following example both Sue Waters and mohanjith would be assigned the role of teacher.  They would be added as users to all student blogs and be able to access all student blogs using My Class > Student Blogs.

Teacher role

Edublogs Support Manager @suewaters on Twitter

Posted in Help, Students & Classes