Embedding content like slides, videos, comic strips, quizzes, polls into your blog posts takes your posts to the next level; providing opportunities for readers’ engagement and interaction in ways not achievable using plain text and images.
There’s a gazillion online tools nowadays. Most provide code that you can use to embed what you’ve found or created into your posts and pages.
Check out this list of popular web tools, used by educators and students, that can be embedded.
Using Embed Code
Adding embed code to posts or pages is as simple as:
1. Go to Posts > Add New.
2. Give your post a title, add your content, tags and categories.
3. Click on Save Draft and then Preview to preview your post.
4. Check your post and make all necessary edits.
5. Locate the embed code for the media you created or want to embed.
- Websites use a range of different icons to represent Embed code.
- Look for icons like </>, the word Embed or hover your mouse over icons until you see the word Embed.
6. Copy the embed code.
7. Place your cursor in the post where you want you it to be embedded and click on Add Media button.
8. Click on Insert Embed Code.
9. Paste the embed code into the Insert Embed code box and click Insert into post.
10. When you have finished writing click Publish.
11. You should now see your embedded media when you view your Post on your blog!.
Important Embed Tips
1. Embed code removed
If the embed code is removed when you click Save it means you are probably using a free Edublogs.org blog.
2. Adjusting the embed size
Some embed code is designed to be embedded into normal websites and can be too wide for the width of your blog post.
Ideal width for embedding for most blog themes is 450 pixels wide.
If the online tool doesn’t provide the ability y to adjust the embed size you can often do this by editing the code yourself. All you need to do is try adjusting the scale, width and/or height after you’ve added it to your post.