The Links widget is used to display links you’ve added via Links > Add New in the sidebar.
The default link category is blogroll. A blogroll is a list of your favorite blogs in your blog sidebar. One of the reasons for adding a blogroll is so your readers can use this list to locate other blogs worth reading — you are saying“these are some blogs I like – which are worth checking out!”
Here’s what it looks like when it’s added to a blog sidebar:
Once you add the widget to your sidebar in Appearance > Widgets, you’ll see that the widget settings look like this:
- Links category: Allows you to select which of your links category you want to display. This enables you to add multiple links widgets to different locations in your sidebar, and display a different link category in each one.
- Sort by: Links can be sorted by Link Title, Rating, Link ID or Randomly.
- Link Title: sorts links alphabetically.
- Link Rating: you can set a rating for each link so the links are listed in the order they are rated.
- Link ID: displays the link list in the order the links were created.
- Randomly: order is changed each time the link widget is viewed.
- Show link image. Displays the image specified by the image address in your links.
- Show Link Description: Displays the description specified in your links.
- Show Link Rating: Displays the rating you specified when you added your link.
- Number of links to show: Controls the number of links listed. Leave this blank if you want all links to be displayed.