3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pdf pie-chartplayplugprinter skype website

Here are some important tips for choosing student usernames, student blog URLs and blog titles.

We recommend:

• Never use full names for students.
  • Use only their first name or a pseudo name and apply this rule to their username, blog URLs, blog titles, any photos (including file names), documents, comments.
  • Educate their family so they are aware of your policies and encourage family to leave comments such as Matt’s mum or Samantha’s nana.

Username tips

UsernameUse only lowercase letters and numbers, with no spaces, in usernames.

Your student’s username is what they use to sign into a blog dashboard and is displayed on posts and comments they write.

While you can’t change usernames, most blog platforms do allow you to change how the name is displayed on posts and comments.

Most teachers don’t allow students to use first and last name online, so most educators model this by using display names like Miss W or  Mrs. Waters for their own name and display names like Misty for their student name.

Educators normally use the same name for both the student’s username and blog URL.  Keep them simple and easy for the student to remember.

Most use a combination of their student’s first name followed by numbers that might represent the year, class number and/or school initials.  They do this to protect the identity of the student by not including their last name and ensures their username is unique (as Edublogs has over 3 millions users).

For example, username mistybp16 and blog URL mistybp16.edublogs.org.

If you want the students to use the blog for their entire school life then use a combination of letters combined with a number that represents the year they started school or are finishing school.

Blog Domain Tips

Blog domain can’t be changed once created.  If you want to change it you will need to create a new blog.

During the creation of a blog you  have to select a blog domain for it — this is the blog URL.  When you want others to visit the student blog you give them the URL link of your student blogs.

Check out the naming convention used for student blogs attached to these class blogs:

1. Huzzah
  2. Ms Cassidy’s Classroom Blog

Blog Title Tips

Class Blog widgetThe blog title is one of the first things a reader sees when visiting a blog.

We recommend that you keep the Student’s first name as the first part of the blog title if you are using My Class.   This makes it easier to identify a student blog from the Class Blog widget.  The Class blog widget is used to list all student blogs attached to My Class.

You can always change your blog title any time via Settings > General in the student blog dashboard.

Creating Student Accounts

The best option for creating student usernames or student blogs is to use My Class.

If you choose not to use My Class we strongly recommend you always add yourself as an administrator to your student blog.  This means if you need to edit/delete a post, page or comment you can quickly access their blog from your blog dashboard.

You don’t need to worry about adding yourself to student blogs if you are using My Class because it does this automatically for you!

“My Class”  is the ultimate tool for managing both class and student blogs.

Using “My Class” you can:

• Allow students to publish their own posts on their student blogs (and the class blog) OR configure it so all student posts must be reviewed by a teacher.
  • Control comment moderation settings on student blogs.
  • Control the privacy settings on all student blogs with just one click!
  • Quickly enable extra features on student blogs to increase their storage space, allow them to embed any code, access Premium themes and so much more.
  • Quickly preview all moderated posts and comments in one location.

My Class can be used to:

• Manage all your student blogs
  • Manage student posts on your class blog

Refer to the following information to set up and use My Class:

1. How do I create a Class using “My Class” tool
  2. How do students create their own blog and join a Class?
  3. How do I create student blogs using My Class?
  4. How do students add an existing blog to a Class?
  5. How do I add students as users to a Class?
  6. How do I change a student’s email address?