Comments allow your readers to add feedback to your posts and pages. Comments extend the conversation beyond your blog post allowing your readers to interact with you and each other.
Unfortunately occasionally you may have unwanted comments or spam comments.
Spam Comment Protection
Edublogs uses three main ways to protect your blog against spam comments:
- Every comment submitted on Edublogs.org blogs is checked against the Akismet servers. Any comment identified as spam is automatically marked as spam and is sent to your comment spam folder.
- All logged out visitors must enter the anti-spam word. The anti-spam word is designed to verify a comment is human; it protects your blog against automated spam comment scripts.
- The first comment by a new commenter is moderated and their subsequent comments are immediately published on all newly created blogs. This ensures that only comments by commenters you trust are automatically published.
Akismet isn’t activated on most CampusPress blogs. Refer to Akismet plugin support documentation to set up Akismet.
Unwanted Comment Options
Occasionally you might have an issue with a specific commenter.
There are a range of ways you can deal with this:
- Set up your blog so all comments are moderated and aren’t published until approved by an admin user.
- Set up a comment moderation list to target specific words, name , URL, email address or IP. If it matches something anywhere in the comment’s content, name, URL, e-mail, or IP, the comment will be held in the moderation queue.
- Set up a comment blacklist to target specific words, name , URL, email address or IP. If it matches something anywhere in the comment’s content, name, URL, e-mail, or IP, the comment is sent immediately to your comment spam folder.
Dealing with Spam comments
The Akismet server learns from comments you mark as spam. You can learn more about how Akismet works here.
Akismet is very accurate but occasionally doesn’t mark a spam comment as spam.
Any spam comments that Akismet hasn’t detected as spam should always be marked as spam by clicking on Spam.
You should click on Trash for any comments you want to delete that aren’t spam.