You can easily share your posts on several social media networks automatically when you publish a new post using the Publicize module in the Jetpack plugin.
What's On This Page?
Enable Jetpack Plugin
To get started you first need to activate the Jetpack plugin as follows:
- Enable Jetpack using existing WordPress.com account
- Enable Jetpack by creating a new WordPress.com account
Set up Auto-post
You connect your blog to your social network profiles as follows:
1. Go to Jetpack > Settings
2. Click on Sharing tab and activate ‘Automatically share your posts to social networks’.
- If the module is not activated yet, it will be grayed out, and a blue “Activate” button will allow you to activate the module.
3. Go to Settings > Sharing
4. Click the “Connect” button next to the service you want to auto-post each new post to.
5. Log in to the social network and authorize the connection.
6. Once authorized it will redirect back to to the sharing page where you can select if you want to “Make this connection available to all users of the blog”.
7. Repeat the process until you’ve connected all services you want to auto post to.
Once you’ve connected any of your social networks in Settings > Sharing, you’ll see a Publicize section in the Publish module in your post editor.
When you publish a new post using Posts > Add New you will see it automatically appear on the services you enabled.
To opt out of a social network for a specific post you just need to:
1. Click on Publicize Edit Details link
2. Uncheck any service you don’t want to auto post to.
- You can even add your own custom message!
3. Click Publish.
Images in Auto-post
When you auto-post to Facebook and Twitter the images need to be at least 200 x 200 pixels to be included. The image is selected in the following order:
- Featured image.
- An image attached and inserted into the post
- Any other image in the post.
Tumblr displays an image if the image is embedded within the first 256 characters of the post or you have used the Image Post format for your post.
If you wish to use Twitter Cards you will need to submit your website to Twitter for them to display.
- You can’t auto post Pages (Pages > Add New)
- A post is only auto-posted the first time it is published. You can’t republish a post to trigger a new auto-post.
- Only administrators, editors and author user roles see the Publicize section and can use auto post.